[R-sig-ME] glmer conditional deviance DECREASING after removal of fixed effect??

Juho Kristian Ruohonen juho@kr|@t|@n@ruohonen @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Aug 31 10:01:31 CEST 2023

Hi,

I thought it was impossible for deviance to decrease when a term is
removed!?!? Yet I'm seeing it happen with this pair of relatively simple
Bernoulli GLMMs fit using lme4:glmer():

> full <- glmer(y ~ (1|id) + x1 + x2 + x3 + x4, family = binomial, nAGQ =
> 6, data = anon)

> reduced <- update(full, ~. -x1)

> c(full = deviance(full), reduced = deviance(reduced))

*     full  reduced*
*2808.671 2807.374 *

What on earth going on? FYI, I am deliberately comparing conditional
deviances rather than marginal ones, because quite a few of the clusters
are of inherent interest and likely to recur in future data.

My anonymized datafile is attached.

Best,

Juho