[R-sig-ME] Standard errors of variances; negative variance

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Tue Jun 20 09:45:02 CEST 2023

Dear all,

A negative variance seems odd to me. Isn't a variance positive by
definition? How would you interpret a random intercept with a negative
variance?

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE AND
FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

~ John Tukey