[R-sig-ME] Standard errors of variances; negative variance

Tue Jun 20 01:35:52 CEST 2023

   Hi, Will,

Googling

  site:https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/ "negative
variance"

claims to get you 67 results (although only 11 that Google considers
worth displaying by default),

   You can filter by date - there are only two hits since 2020:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Ahttps%3A%2F%2Fstat.ethz.ch%2Fpipermail%2Fr-sig-mixed-models%2F+%22negative+variance%22&client=firefox-b-d&tbs=cdr%3A1%2Ccd_min%3A01-01-2020%2Ccd_max%3A&tbm=

   and these both look like false positives (they include "negative" and
"variance" but not "negative variance" ...)

   The short answer is that I am not aware of any mixed effect package
in R that will allow you to return negative values. You can see my
answer here:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2018q1/026437.html ...

   As for uncertainties in variances - the merDeriv package (dating back
to 2017) will give you the standard errors of variances and covariances
(although again, note that there's a theoretical issue here - the
standard errors are often extremely poor summaries of the uncertainty or
RE variances, the original authors of lme4 would certainly prefer that
you use profile confidence intervals to summarize the uncertainty ...)

   That's what I know -- perhaps someone else knows about a package that
allows for negative variances ... ??