[R-sig-ME] Spatial autocorrelation correction lme4

Roberto Meseguer Rosagro roberto@me@eguer @end|ng |rom ud|@c@t
Sun Jun 4 22:43:15 CEST 2023

Dear Dr. Bolker,

As you are one of the authors of the lme4 package and you are so active in Stack Overflow, I'm reaching you for the following reason (any help would be appreciated):

I'm building a GLMM (family=Gamma) in lme4 package with some spatially autocorrelated data. Is there any correction that can be applied to the model within this package?

I know the package nlme has this possibility, but it is not suitable for the Gamma distribution. That's why I ran my global model using the function glmmPQL, from the MASS package (is appropriate for GLMM, and you can use the same structures than in nlme package, so I finally could apply the correction). The problem is that, as glmmPQL uses Penalized Quasi-Likelihood, it doesn't compute an AIC nor a BIC criterion to your global model; so then you cannot dredge it to average the models with �AIC < 2, as glmmPQL global model has not AIC!

That is why I am wondering if there is any workaround to apply a correction for spatially autocorrelated data to my global lme4 model.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your attention.

Best regards.

Roberto Meseguer