[R-sig-ME] hypothesis testing - full model doesn't converge

Rion Lerm re@|erm @end|ng |rom @@eon@nr|@@c@z@
Fri Mar 17 10:04:06 CET 2023

I got one of two warnings depending on my response variable i.e.,:

Warning message:
In fitTMB(TMBStruc) :
  Model convergence problem; non-positive-definite Hessian matrix. See
vignette('troubleshooting')

or

Warning message:
In fitTMB(TMBStruc) :
  Model convergence problem; extreme or very small eigenvalues detected.
See vignette('troubleshooting')

Attached is the code I employed for scaling the predictor effects that
compare the successful and unsuccessful model runs. (Disclaimer: the steps
came from a vignette not built by me).

Run various models with different combos of predictor fixed effects and
compare AIC or BIC values and select the smallest or similar depending on
importance of predictor inclusion. (PS diversity measures also produced
large collinearity with most of my predictors; I inspected this issue by
running generliased pairs plots of the predictor fixed effects (see GGally
package's ggpairs() function)).

Regards/Groete and I hope this helps or I have addressed your query
successfully,

*Rion Lerm*

SAEON Ndlovu

C: 076 913 8381

W: 013 735 3536

SAEON / Scientific Services, Kruger National Park Gate, Phalaborwa, South
Africa

South African Environmental Observation Network

Website <https://ndlovu.saeon.ac.za/> & Location of our offices
<https://www.google.co.za/maps/place/SAEON+Ndlovu+Node/@-23.9447244,31.164957,18z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x1ec36ec96261cfb7:0xb89a27144ba0ca2a!8m2!3d-23.9450103!4d31.1652626>

My research profiles:
*ResearchGate* <https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rion-Lerm>