[R-sig-ME] Suggestions on how to correct a misapprehension?

Wed Dec 14 10:17:11 CET 2022

    > Hi Ben, It seems like Python's statsmodels might not be
    > using EM either, which would mean that exactly none of the
    > four stats packages listed in the original Wikipedia
    > article actually use EM.

That's not correct, either:

nlme  clearly uses *BOTH*  EM (initial steps) *and*
Newton-Raphson (==> non-sense in the SAS docu you cited).

Note the reference on lme's help page,

  Lindstrom, M.J. and Bates, D.M. (1988) "Newton-Raphson and EM
  Algorithms for Linear Mixed-Effects Models for Repeated-Measures
  Data", Journal of the American Statistical Association, 83, 1014--1022.

which even has both algorithms in the title.

    > My edits were a mix of Phillip Alday's thoughts on the
    > matter and mine; if I can work out exactly what
    > statsmodels is doing I'll make further changes. (And I'm
    > open to suggestions about anything else that might be good
    > to add!

I've also amended Wikipedia pages (in my name) since 2006, as I
now looked up...

The current entry about lme4 / Mixed Models is still "grossly" misleading,
in my view.  Notably as it basically relates everything to
Henderson's MM equations -- which were phantastic when stated
63 years ago.

The main idea of Doug Bates' approach (in lme4, MixedModels) --
which Doug explained nicely -- namely that you can profile out much of the
parameter space (beta, sigma) via PLS while only needing to optimize
(the PLS resulting profiled likelihood) over the var-cov
parameters (theta) is still not all mentioned.

Martin