[R-sig-ME] Suggestions on how to correct a misapprehension?

Jeroen van Paridon v@np@r|don @end|ng |rom w|@c@edu
Wed Dec 14 03:11:46 CET 2022

Hi Ben,

It seems like Python's statsmodels might not be using EM either, which would mean that exactly none of the four stats packages listed in the original Wikipedia article actually use EM.

My edits were a mix of Phillip Alday's thoughts on the matter and mine; if I can work out exactly what statsmodels is doing I'll make further changes. (And I'm open to suggestions about anything else that might be good to add!

Cheers,

JP
________________________________
From: R-sig-mixed-models <r-sig-mixed-models-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of Ben Bolker <bbolker using gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2022 7:38:16 PM
To: r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org <r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org>
Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME] Suggestions on how to correct a misapprehension?

   FWIW I can see that JP van Paridon has already gotten us most of the
way there.

FWIW I don't think SAS uses EM either, at least as far as I can tell:

https://documentation.sas.com/doc/en/statcdc/14.2/statug/statug_mixed_details58.htm

PROC MIXED uses a ridge-stabilized Newton-Raphson algorithm to optimize
either a full (ML) or residual (REML) likelihood function. The
Newton-Raphson algorithm is preferred to the EM algorithm (Lindstrom and
Bates 1988). PROC MIXED profiles the likelihood with respect to the
fixed effects and also with respect to the residual variance whenever it
appears reasonable to do so. The residual profiling can be avoided by
using the NOPROFILE option of the PROC MIXED statement. PROC MIXED uses
the MIVQUE0 method (Rao 1972; Giesbrecht 1989) to compute initial values.