[R-sig-ME] Cluster-robust SEs & random effects -- seeking some clarification

J.D. Haltigan jh@|t|g@ @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sun Aug 14 01:32:52 CEST 2022

One further post perhaps framing my question slightly differently (or
altogether more generally):

What, specifically, do cluster-robust/robust SEs allow one to do with more
accuracy/precision *if* they are already using both random effects and
slopes to model relevant cluster-specific effects. Is it the case that
there may be any number of sources that could potentially account for
sources of heteroskedasticity (i.e., autoregressive structure in the case
of repeated measurements/time variables) that using the cluster robust SEs
would be of value for in making more precise inference assuming some
misspecification of the random effects structure of the model?

Relatedly, is there a 'seminal' or 'key' paper that provides a deep dive on
the concept of heteroskedasticity? I have a few on hand, but wanted to see
if there was something I might not be aware of .