[R-sig-ME] Choice of distribution for random effects

Andrew Robinson @pro @end|ng |rom un|me|b@edu@@u
Wed Jul 20 09:40:17 CEST 2022

You can use a qq-plot of the BLUPS to guide that decision.

The difference might also be due to something else, though.  Have you tried the call to hglm2 with a gaussian random effects family?  Does it give the same output as the glmer?

For: does the choice of distribution for the fixed effects portion of the model inform the choice for the random effects?  I’m not sure what you mean - do you mean the exponential family for the response variable?

Cheers,

Andrew

--
Andrew Robinson
Chief Executive Officer, CEBRA and Professor of Biosecurity,

I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land I inhabit, and pay my respects to their Elders.