[R-sig-ME] lme4 package

Sun Jul 3 00:14:41 CEST 2022

   There are lots of answers about this on the web:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lme4+%22fixed+effect+model+matrix+is+rank+deficient%22

or to search just the R mailing lists:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Astat.ethz.ch+%22fixed+effect+model+matrix+is+rank+deficient%22

  Some set of your predictors is multicollinear (i.e., one predictor is
an exact linear combination of some other set of predictors).  This is
not necessarily a problem.  The most common cause is including a set of
dummy variables that describe a complete set of possibilities (e.g. if
you have habitat types A, B, and C, then including a dummy (0/1)
variable for whether an observation comes from each habitat type will be
multicollinear.

--
Dr. Benjamin Bolker
Professor, Mathematics & Statistics and Biology, McMaster University