[R-sig-ME] lme4 package

Tue May 31 23:49:52 CEST 2022

   This is not a particularly mixed-model-specific question.  The
general approach would be something like:

   var_combs <- list(model1 = c("X1", "X7"),
                model2 = c("X2", "X3", "X12"),
                model3 = c("X4", "X8", "X9", "X11"),
         ## etc.)

(I don't know the logic behind your choice of combinations of predictors
so can't automate it any further)

   Then:

  results <- list()
  for (m in names(var_combs)) {
      form <- reformulate(c(var_combs[[m]], "(1|group)"), response = "Y")
      fit <- lmer(form, data = ..., ....)
      results[[m]] <- fit
  }

   This assumes that the random-effects component is only variation in
the intercept across `group`.

There are a huge variety of alternatives -- you could use lapply() or
purrr::map() instead of a for loop, do something to parallelize the fits
across cores, etc. etc..

--
Dr. Benjamin Bolker
Professor, Mathematics & Statistics and Biology, McMaster University