[R-sig-ME] Poisson intercept-only multilevel model doesn't appear to return the correct population mean

Maarten Jung jungm@@rten @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Mar 9 15:52:46 CET 2022

Dear John,

> Why would including random intercepts for plot change the grand mean
> (exponentiated) from
> 44.24 to 11.29? Note that this only happens with the multilevel Poisson
> regression and not the
> multilevel Gaussian. I suspect I'm missing something, but I'll be
> darned if
> I can figure out what.
In generalized linear mixed models the fixed population effects in the
marginal and conditional model are in general different (taking the
expectation of a nonlinear function of a random variable is not the same
as taking the expectation of that random variable first and then
applying the nonlinear function).
In particular, for the log-linear Poisson random intercept model, the
amount by which the intercept terms will differ depends on the random
effects variance.

Best,
Maarten