[R-sig-ME] Multi-level models for nested variables in time dimension

Phillip Alday me @end|ng |rom ph||||p@|d@y@com
Sat Dec 4 05:27:23 CET 2021

The math of mixed models doesn't care whether the original dimension was
space, time or something else entirely. In both time and space, you can
have autocorrelation that messes with model assumptions, but it's that
autocorrelation that matters more than the physical interpretation of
the dimension.

All that said, it's incumbent on the user to know what the inferential
interpretation of the resulting model is. Methods designed to deal with
serial autocorrelation may have a more obvious interpretation. But the
question of which model gives you the inferences you need is one that
requires the knowledge of your data and research question that only you
have.

Hope that helps,

Phillip