[R-sig-ME] Grouping variables technically suitable for modeling

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Tue Nov 9 16:02:59 CET 2021

Dear Timothy,

I would expect in your example that the combined effect of ID1 and ID2 will
be more or less equally split over ID1 and ID2. As this would yield a lower
penalty then attributing the effect fully to either ID1 or ID2. Hence the
random effect variances of 1|ID1/ID2 will be a lot smaller than 1|ID1 or
1|ID2.

As ID2 defines almost the same grouping as ID1, it doesn't make sense to
include both of them in the model.

I have no reference at hand for this. Just common sense.

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE AND
FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

~ John Tukey