[R-sig-ME] zero variance and standard deviation in random effects

Phillip Alday me @end|ng |rom ph||||p@|d@y@com
Wed Nov 3 01:04:34 CET 2021

I think one useful case for treating small, closed populations as a
random-effect is that you get the shrinkage/regularization. Of course,
the estimated variances will be nonsense. But the regularization may
still be useful for other things, cf. "new style" random effects:

http://www.biostat.umn.edu/~hodges/PubH8492/Hodges-ClaytonREONsubToStatSci.pdf

http://www.biostat.umn.edu/~hodges/PubH8492/Lectures_13.pdf

Of course, this is the statistical equivalent of "if you have to ask,
you can't afford it" / "shouldn't be using it".

(This is a general comment and _not_ advocating for any approach in this
particular case -- I haven't looked at the OP's problem enough to have
any idea about which approach is suitable there.)

Phillip