[R-sig-ME] Help with interpreting one fixed-effect coefficient

Stuart Luppescu |upp @end|ng |rom uch|c@go@edu
Sun Sep 26 15:28:46 CEST 2021

On 9/26/21 06:26, Simon Harmel wrote:
> I've two categorical moderators i.e., students' ***sex*** (`boys`,
> `girls`) and the ***school-gender system*** (`boy-only`, `girl-only`,
> `mixed`) in a model like: `y ~ sex + schoolgend`.

I don't get this. Why is this posted to a mixed-effects model list when
there is no random effect? That said, this really is a hierarchical
model, since the sex predictor is an individual-level predictor, and
school-gender-system is a school-level predictor. In a case like this,
you're getting messed up trying to conceptualize the cross-level
interaction. My head is all messed up just trying to figure it out.

--
Stuart Luppescu
Chief Psychometrician (ret.)