[R-sig-ME] Advice for the R-package of lme4

Thu Aug 26 23:58:33 CEST 2021

   [Please keep r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org in the Cc: list!]

   The warning message is *probably* irrelevant; to make it go away you
would need to install the Matrix package from source on your machine
(the binary packages on CRAN are built with the latest R version of a
particular release series).

   A preliminary investigation on my side had the same general
conclusions (fitting with 1.1-23 and 1.1-26 gave identical answers). I'm
afraid that if you have tried with both versions of the package and
can't replicate your former results exactly then, logically, *the
lme4/lmerTest package versions cannot be the source of the problem*;
some other aspect of your setup must have changed. Numerical
computations are, unfortunately, subject to a great deal of
(small-scale) instability due to changes in underlying linear algebra
packages, compilers, etc..

  I'm not sure what else we can do to help.

   sincerely
    Ben Bolker