[R-sig-ME] Error in MEEM(object, conLin, control$niterEM) : Singularity in backsolve at level 0, block 1 in LME model

romunov romunov @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Wed Jul 7 09:51:57 CEST 2021

Have you tried plotting this? My guess is that you will find something
unexpected in the provenance:treatment level combination.

Cheers,
Roman

On Wed, Jul 7, 2021 at 9:03 AM Arivoara Rabarijaona <arivoara using gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
> I hope someone can help me. I'm using nlme to fit models.
>
> My dataframe (1785 obs) :
> $ id: Factor w/595 levels
> $ treatment: Factor w/3 levels
> $ provenance: Factor w/16 levels
> $ repetition: Factor w/4 levels
> $ bloc: Factor w/66 levels # nested to repetition
> $ response: num ... (1777 obs and 8 NA) # 3 repeated measures by id
> $ status: Factor w/3 levels, "dominant","codominant","suppressed" # there
> are 6 provenances without suppressed trees
>
> I want to run a modele like this :
>
> modele <- lme(response  ~ provenance + treatment + provenance:treatment +
> status + status:treatment + statuts:provenance,
>                    random = ~ 1|repetition/bloc,
>                    correlation = corAR1(form = ~ 1|repetition/bloc/id),
>                    data, method= "ML", na.action =na.omit)
>
> I get the message :
> Error in MEEM(object, conLin, control$niterEM) :   Singularity in backsolve
> at level 0, block 1 in LME model
>
> If I run the modele without the interaction statuts:provenance, it works.
>
> Can anyone tell me how to resolve this error ?
>
> Thanks,
> Arivoara Rabarijaona

In God we trust, all others bring data.