[R-sig-ME] A three-level GLMM with binomial link in R

Fri Mar 5 22:01:39 CET 2021

    What kind of estimation issues?  As far as just data set size is
concerned, I would consider this a "medium-to-large" problem for glmer,
but not something I would expect to cause problems.

  * MASS::glmmPQL is built on top of lme(), so might work well for you
  * glmmTMB provides a more-or-less drop-in replacement for glmer you
could try
  * GLMMadaptive::mixed_model is another possibility
  * if you really need speed, Doug Bates's MixedModels.jl in Julia
usually beats everything else listed here

   But ... we could probably give much better advice if you say
something about the specific kinds of "estimation issues" you're having.

   cheers
    Ben Bolker