[R-sig-ME] CLMM: Calculate ICC & Assessing Model Fit

Sidoti, Salvatore A. @|dot|@23 @end|ng |rom buckeyem@||@o@u@edu
Wed Aug 19 16:09:47 CEST 2020

The example you see on Stack Exchange employs a toy data set which mimics the structure of my real data, but not the distributions. It turns out that the statistical contribution of each animal in my study is quite profound, so a mixed model is essential in my case.

Salvatore Sidoti
PhD Candidate
Department of Evolution, Ecology & Organismal Biology
The Ohio State University
Columbus, OH USA

________________________________
From: Juho Kristian Ruohonen <juho.kristian.ruohonen using gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 2020, 9:35 AM
To: Sidoti, Salvatore A.
Cc: r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org
Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME] CLMM: Calculate ICC & Assessing Model Fit

Just voicing two thoughts as a non-statistician:

1. Why do you feel you need a mixed model in the first place? It looks to me like every Individual is contributing the same number of responses (i.e. 4). Thus, the individual-specific effects can be assumed to cancel each other out, and no random effect is needed.
2. Why complicate things with a non-canonical link function? It looks to me like a standard ordinal logistic regression model, with fixed effects only, would do the job for you. Guides and textbooks abound on how to assess the fit of such models.

Best,