[R-sig-ME] lme4 - Mixed Model question

Mon Jul 13 20:46:35 CEST 2020

    I *think* that if you simply set the values of the covariates you
want to disregard for each group to 0 for that group, you'll get what
you want.  I don't think there's a way to do that in the formula
specification; you can obviously write code to do it, but doing it
elegantly could be tricky.  If I were doing it I might try something
*approximately* along the lines of

    vars <- list(g1=c("x1","x2"), g2=c("x2","x3"))

    all_vars <- unique(unlist(vars))

    for (i in seq_along(models)) {

       my_data[group==names(models)[i], setdiff(all_vars, vars[[i]])] <- 0

    }