[R-sig-ME] A graphic for Random intercepts via distributions

Simon Harmel @|m@h@rme| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jul 9 01:24:51 CEST 2020

Thanks Ben. The notations e_{ij} for the residual error of individual i in
school j and U_{0j} for the deviation of school j's mean from the grand
mean is just how educational methodologists denote these concepts.

 But specifically, I thought regression concepts like e_{ij} and U_{0j} all
should be correctly shown on a scatter plot like this:
https://github.com/hkil/m/blob/master/mlm2.PNG.

So, with your suggestions is this a better picture?:
https://github.com/hkil/m/blob/master/mlm3.PNG

Is there a relationship between the scale of the fist-level distributions,
and the second-level distribution that the picture should observe?

Thanks,
Simon