[R-sig-ME] A graphic for Random intercepts via distributions

Thu Jul 9 00:51:36 CEST 2020

     Can you clarify your concern?

I can see things to quibble about here (the scales of the level-2 and
level-1 diagrams are different; I don't know why they're using e_{ij}
for the residual error of individual i in school j but U_{0j} for the
deviation of school j around the grand mean; it's a little confusing to
have "level 1" above "level 2" in the text but level 2 above level 1 in
the picture; it's potentially confusing for the arrow showing the
deviation from the baseline to intersect with the population density
curve [technically, the deviation doesn't have a "level", so could be
drawn instead as an arrow between two vertical lines rather than from a
line to a particular point ...

... but nothing that seems actively misleading.

   Others may have other opinions or see something I'm missing.