[R-sig-ME] Level 2 outcome and 'Downdated VtV' error

Patrick (Malone Quantitative) m@|one @end|ng |rom m@|onequ@nt|t@t|ve@com
Tue Jul 7 15:16:04 CEST 2020

Agreed with the others. Chiming in only because I've recently been
doing research on such aggregation and I can say the consensus seems
to be it doesn't introduce bias (with the possible exception of very
small clusters, which you don't have).

On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 6:40 AM Viechtbauer, Wolfgang (SP)
<wolfgang.viechtbauer using maastrichtuniversity.nl> wrote:

> Hi Matt,
>
> What you are trying to do (i.e., use a level 2 variable as the outcome) can and should not be done. The outcome in a multilevel model needs to be measured at the lowest level.
>
> In your model (A1), we know a priori that there is 0 within-station variability. Hence, the ICC is exactly equal to 1 in that model, but trying to fit such a model pushes the optimization routines into a situation that leads to degeneracies.
>
> The only way to get around this is to aggregate the data to the level of the outcome (i.e., use PopCov as the outcome and aggregate all other level 1 predictors to level 2 means).
>
> Best,
> Wolfgang

Patrick S. Malone, Ph.D., Malone Quantitative
NEW Service Models: http://malonequantitative.com

He/Him/His