[R-sig-ME] Level 2 outcome and 'Downdated VtV' error

Tue Jul 7 12:39:07 CEST 2020

Hi Matt,

What you are trying to do (i.e., use a level 2 variable as the outcome) can and should not be done. The outcome in a multilevel model needs to be measured at the lowest level.

In your model (A1), we know a priori that there is 0 within-station variability. Hence, the ICC is exactly equal to 1 in that model, but trying to fit such a model pushes the optimization routines into a situation that leads to degeneracies.

The only way to get around this is to aggregate the data to the level of the outcome (i.e., use PopCov as the outcome and aggregate all other level 1 predictors to level 2 means).

Best,
Wolfgang