[R-sig-ME] Course: Introduction to Linear Mixed Effects Models and GLMM with R-INLA

Henrik Singmann @|ngm@nn @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Jun 11 16:51:08 CEST 2020

But isn't that exactly Mollie's point? You write "Nested data means
multiple observations from the same [unit of observation]". And then she
gave an example where you can have multiple observations from the same unit
of observation without the data being nested.

I also completely agree with her criticism that this terminology is
critical to get right. When I teach mixed models one of the things that
always comes up is that people misunderstand the concept of nested factors:
A factor A is nested in another factor B if certain levels of A only appear
with certain levels of B and not with all levels of B (the latter would be
called crossed). In other words, whether or not we have repeated measures
or multiple observations is unrelated to whether or not there exists
nesting in the data.

Maybe it would make more sense to use "clustered" in that context instead
of "nested".