[R-sig-ME] Specifying starting point for MCMCglmm()

Pierre de Villemereuil p|erre@dev|||emereu|| @end|ng |rom ephe@p@|@eu
Fri Jun 5 09:44:38 CEST 2020

Hi,

The "start" argument of MCMCglmm() cannot be used to restart at a given iteration (and if it did, it would require a saved model to do so, since the algorithm is not deterministic).

>From the function help and "start" section:

> optional list having 4 possible elements: ‘R’ (R-structure)
> ‘G’ (G-structure) and ‘liab’ (latent variables or
> liabilities) should contain the starting values where ‘G’
> itself is also a list with as many elements as random effect
> components. The fourth element ‘QUASI’ should be logical: if
> ‘TRUE’ starting latent variables are obtained heuristically,
> if ‘FALSE’ then they are sampled from a Z-distribution

So, you would need to extract such components from an already saved model. R and G components would be located in "model$VCV". Unless I'm misguided, you need to set "pl = TRUE" to save the latent variables that the "liab" component needs, which are then saved in the "model$Liab" component.

Note that I don't believe the information you can provide to "start" will be enough to restore your chain *exactly* at the state it was, but it should place you near enough a convergent state if drawn from a convergent state.

Cheers,
Pierre.