[R-sig-ME] question on unit variance function

Phillip Alday ph||||p@@|d@y @end|ng |rom mp|@n|
Mon May 25 00:45:54 CEST 2020

I haven't seen an answer go by yet, so I'll take a small stab. But
first: I don't see anything here related to *mixed* models, which is the
topic of this list; all of these questions seem to be related to more
foundational GLM / regression issues. You might have better luck on
CrossValidated (https://stats.stackexchange.com/).

On the second page of your second reference, there is a claim that the
beta distribution is not a member of the exponential family. This is
half accurate -- the beta distribution is an exponential distribution,
is not in the expoential dispersion family (see e.g.
https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/435669/can-distributions-that-are-in-the-exponential-family-but-not-the-natural-expone
and
https://stats.stackexchange.com/questions/304538/why-beta-dirichlet-regression-are-not-considered-generalized-linear-models).
This means that it doesn't fit well with the techniques usually used in
the GLM framework (such as glm() and glmer() in R).

The variance of the binomial distribution is a function of its mean
(mu*(1-mu)), which is why the binomial distribution is parameterized
purely by the mean (and number of observations)  and there is no
"residual variance" in a binomial model.

The beta distribution is parameterized either by two shape parameters or
by the mean and precision (which is like variance a scale parameter),
see e.g. the abbreviated discussion here:
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/brms/vignettes/brms_customfamilies.html#the-beta-binomial-distribution.
These two very different parameterizations hint at some of the problems
with working with the beta distribution.

For all of these things, the canonical reference is McCullagh and
Nelder's Generalized Linear Models.

That doesn't answer your question directly, but hopefully it gives you
enough to continue your search.

Phillip