[R-sig-ME] question on unit variance function

HATICE T KUBRA AKDUR hkubr@@eno| @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Thu Apr 30 17:33:45 CEST 2020

Dear Group Members,

I hope you are keeping well during this difficult time.
Thank you in advance.
I have some questions below:

In the beta regression model, it is stated V(\mu)= \mu(1-\mu).

It is known that even though beta distribution is in the exponential
family, logit link is not canonical link for beta regression.

And, V(\mu)= \mu(1-\mu) is unit variance function for binomial
distribution, logit link is canonical for binomial distribution.

 I am not sure,  V(mu)=mu(1-mu), is it still unit variance function for
beta regression model with logit link.  Even though, it is not in natural
exponential family. OR we can say that V(\mu)= \mu(1-\mu) is variance
function for beta regression with logit link.

1/g'(mu) (g(mu) is link function) can be used to obtain unit variance
function for not natural exponential family distribution? or it is only
true for natural exponential family?

For example, unit variance function of Simplex distribution is
V(mu)=mu_3(1-mu)_3
because simplex distribution is in dispersion family. So, to obtain unit
variance function, the second order derivative of the deviance function is
used.

I will be very glad, if you enlighten me.

Best,