[R-sig-ME] Interaction terms with random slopes

Yashree Mehta y@@hree19 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Sat Apr 4 21:27:53 CEST 2020

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

The model is as follows:

Production = seed + fertilizer + fertilizer : wheatlanduse + (1 +
fertilizer | Household)

The code implies the following: Production is the dependent variable and
the covariates are seed and fertilizer. Random intercept has been
specified at the Household level and the random slope variable is
fertilizer. Cross level interaction has been introduced with a wheat land
use dummy variable which interacts with fertilizer. As can be seen,
fertilizer has also been specified as a fixed effect.

My question is as follows: Is it necessary to also include wheatlanduse as
a fixed effect because it has been introduced as an interaction? I prefer
not to because it creates problems of multicollinearity with other
covariates in the model.

Thanks again.

Yashree