[R-sig-ME] Interaction terms with random slopes

Alday, Phillip Ph||||p@A|d@y @end|ng |rom mp|@n|
Fri Apr 3 23:13:23 CEST 2020

Perhaps because I never had to deal with software that relies on
explicit nesting of levels, I find it very hard to follow the level-1
and level-2 terminology. Can you provide an example of the model you're
thinking of and how you would test the corresponding hypothesis (e.g.
model comparison, etc.)?

The usual rule of thumb is that for any random slope, you should have
the corresponding fixed-effect slope in the model. There's a discussion
of this over on CrossValidated:
https://stats.stackexchange.com/a/339859/26743

Now, I can think of exceptions to this rule, much like I can think of
exceptions to the rule that you should always include the intercept in a
linear model. But in both cases, if you have to ask, it usually means
you shouldn't do it.