[R-sig-ME] [FORGED] warning error question

Rolf Turner r@turner @end|ng |rom @uck|@nd@@c@nz
Mon Mar 23 23:33:28 CET 2020

On 24/03/20 3:41 am, Anahí Fernández wrote:

> hi!! I run this model in lme4:
> "M.4=glm(Cuenta~carga*categ.asoc+(1|campo/foto)
>            +offset(log(area.foto)),family=poisson(link =
> "log"),data=tipocat)"
> And I have this warning message: "Warning message:
> In checkConv(attr(opt, "derivs"), opt$par, ctrl = control$checkConv,  :
>    Model failed to converge with max|grad| = 0.00432818 (tol = 0.001,
> component 1)"
> I don´t know what is that means, could you help me, please!!
> My datatable is attached...
>
> Cheers, Anahí

(a) Since the function you invoke is glm() this would appear to be
off-topic for r-sig-mixed-models.  OTOH your formula does indeed seem to
involve random effects.  Did you *really* call glm()?  Or did you
actually call glmer()?  If so you, you should be ashamed of yourself for
such sloppiness in posing your question.  People are providing help out
of the goodness of their hearts; don't impose on their good nature by
expecting them to be telepathic.

(b) Assuming that you really did call glmer() --- my impression is that
such warnings are usually false positives and may usually (???) be
safely (???) ignored.  However I'm no expert; you should perhaps wait
for confirmation of this from the more knowledgeable.

(c) Your "datatable" was *NOT* attached.  Most attachments get stripped
by the system (for security reasons).  There are exceptions.  *READ* the
posting guide, which you appear not to have done.

cheers,

Rolf Turner

--
Honorary Research Fellow