[R-sig-ME] Specification of random effects structure

Phillip Alday ph||||p@@|d@y @end|ng |rom mp|@n|
Sat Sep 28 23:35:59 CEST 2019

I suspect that if you look at the by-participant variance, you will have
seen it go down. The fixed effects term for N is by-participant, so when
it's left out from the model, the variation that it explains would tend
to be associated with the by-participant intercept (for the main effect)
or the by-participant slope (for the interaction).

One and a half minor terminological points>

1. The syntax you used and the models you describe are valid for lme4
but not nlme, so did you mean lmer() instead of lme()?

2. I would avoid the L1 vs L2 distinction here. I find the terminology
confusing and I would describe your design as 'crossed' and not 'nested'
anyway because you could just as well think of participants as being
repetitions of each item as the other way around. There's no need to
think of these things as strictly hierarchical, which is why some
(including me) prefer the terminology "multilevel" instead
"hierarchical" model.

Best,

Phillip