[R-sig-ME] Looking for help in moving from a full factorial repeated measure anova to a LME model

Phillip Alday ph||||p@@|d@y @end|ng |rom mp|@n|
Sat Sep 28 23:26:54 CEST 2019

Hi Blazej,

sorry for not getting back to you sooner, especially when you actually
had a minimum working example ....

I suspect part of the problem is that anova() in R corresponds to a Type
I ANOVA, while the default in SPSS (if I recall correctly) is Type III.
I personally think Type III isn't terribly sensical and think Type II is
the way to go, but that's another topic. There's a lot of commentary and
explanations on these things. John Fox has posted various things on this
list to that effect, while Bill Venables has an excellent commentary on
the issue ("Exegeses on Linear Models":
https://www.stats.ox.ac.uk/pub/MASS3/Exegeses.pdf )

In practical terms, you need to load the car package and then try

Anova(m, type=2)
or
Anova(m, type=3)

The other thing that could be creating discrepancies is that you only
have a by-subjects intercept and no by-subjects slope. The choice of
random effects structure is a relatively big topic, and there are lots
of different things to read depending on your level of math. There's the
often cited 'Keep it maximal' paper by Barr et al. (2013, J Mem & Lang),
but I have some objections to that. Instead, I would recommend
'Balancing Type I error and power' by Matuschek et al. (2017, JML), or
the arXiv paper 'Parsimonous Mixed Models' (Bates et al.) or the
nextjournal paper 'Complexity in fitting Linear Mixed Models (Bates,
https://nextjournal.com/dmbates/complexity-in-fitting-linear-mixed-models/).

Hope that helps, even a year and a half later ....
Phillip