[R-sig-ME] Understanding and analysing split split design using lmer()

Guillaume Adeux gu|||@ume@|mon@@2 @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Tue Sep 10 10:53:24 CEST 2019

OK, I will respond in a practical sense with my philosophy (I am not a
statistician), and will let others fill in on a more statistical note.

First of all, there is no real gain in considering block as random, it will
only "cost" you 3 df as fixed, which is not dramatical. Indeed, random
effects are modelled as variance and four points don't seem very reliable
to estimate a variance.

What do you mean by oveparameterized? If it is a singular fit, this just
implies that certain random effects are estimated as 0. I usually tend to
keep everything because I want my model to reflect my experimental set-up.
Note that removing the random effects which are estimated at 0 will not
change any of the fixed effect coefficients or SE. If the model does not
converge, I consider that as more problematic and selection of random
effects might be necessary (drop the one with the lowest variance).
If you overlooked my statement about (1|block:crop:tillage:CC) (i.e. you
introduced it in the model even though you don't have pseudoreplication),
then this might explain it also.

Don't farm naked, plant cover crops,

GA2

>>> Rabin