[R-sig-ME] Understanding and analysing split split design using lmer()

Thierry Onkelinx th|erry@onke||nx @end|ng |rom |nbo@be
Mon Sep 9 21:13:44 CEST 2019

Dear Rabin,

The mail list has stripped your csv file. Send small files as txt. Or put
the data somewhere online and send the link.

You want to use a random intercept to model the effect of an experimental
unit which is not captured by your fixed effects. E.g. for each combination
of replicate, crop and tillage you have 3 types of cover. So you want a
"tillage" level random intercept to model this. You can do this by
assigning a unique id to each combination of replicate (4), crop (2) and
tillage (3) = 36 subplot. So number your subplots for 1 to 36. With such
unique ids you don't have to worry about (partially) nested or (partially)
crossed effects. See https://www.muscardinus.be/2017/07/lme4-random-effects/

You can do the same thing at the crop level: unique combinations of
replicate (4) and crop (2) = 8 combinations. The problem is that for a
descend estimate of the random effect variance, you need a lot of levels (>
200) see https://www.muscardinus.be/2018/09/number-random-effect-levels/.
If you only want to use random intercept to correct for dependencies within
the data, then you can get a way with a smaller number (>10). In your case,
you have too few replicates to take the replicate and replicate/crop plot
effect into account. So I recommend that you only take the subplots
(replicate/crop/tillage) into account. Note that this effect will take up
any effect at a higher level (replicate/crop) when you don't model that
effect.

I'd go for lmer(biomass~crop*tillage*cover+ (1|subplot),data=data)

Best regards,

ir. Thierry Onkelinx
Statisticus / Statistician

Vlaamse Overheid / Government of Flanders
INSTITUUT VOOR NATUUR- EN BOSONDERZOEK / RESEARCH INSTITUTE FOR NATURE AND
FOREST
Team Biometrie & Kwaliteitszorg / Team Biometrics & Quality Assurance
thierry.onkelinx using inbo.be
Havenlaan 88 bus 73, 1000 Brussel
www.inbo.be

~ John Tukey