[R-sig-ME] Nested random effects in mgcv gam/bam

Cesko Voeten c@c@voeten @end|ng |rom hum@|e|denun|v@n|
Mon Jun 24 19:23:28 CEST 2019

Replies inline.

Op 24-06-2019 om 18:07 schreef Mathew Guilfoyle:
> Cesko, thanks for the reply.
>
>> If the subjects are each in one group only, the 'by=G' in the two re smooths in m2b is redundant, and therefore m2a is correct.
>
> Does the addition of a by-factor argument not allow different variance in the random effects for each group? (Incidentally each subject is in one group only)

I believe it should, but I'm not sure if this would actually give you a different fit, given that the groups perfectly separate the subjects? I've tried both constructions on some toy data of my own and the fits are exactly the same up to rounding error (in which case the non-by version is more parsimonious). But I guess this question would be answered for your data by a likelihood-ratio test.

>> Note that this is not entirely equivalent to your gamm model, for two reasons. One is, as you note correctly, that gamm includes correlations between intercept and A which bam doesn't. The second reason is that nlme interprets subsequent grouping factors as nested, meaning that your model actually has random effects for G and G %in% ID, not for G and ID separately. (This could be overcome with a complicated pdBlocked() argument, or by using gamm4 instead of gamm.)
>
> So does this imply that the random effects on intercept and slope will necessarily be uncorrelated in gam/bam, i.e. equivalent to a pdDiag() argument in lme/gamm?

Yes, precisely.

> Secondly, does a random effect smooth with two factors [e.g. s(G, ID, A, bs=‘re’)] not create a nested structure? - the mgcv random.effects documentation page implies that the random effect applies to the interaction of the two factors?

Ahh, sorry, I mistakenly thought you did not want nesting in your gamm model (I usually write the %in% explicitly if I use lme). Yes, of course, this is completely correct.