[R-sig-ME] Nested random effects in mgcv gam/bam

Mathew Guilfoyle mrgu|||oy|e @end|ng |rom gm@||@com
Mon Jun 24 18:07:52 CEST 2019

Cesko, thanks for the reply.

> If the subjects are each in one group only, the 'by=G' in the two re smooths in m2b is redundant, and therefore m2a is correct.

Does the addition of a by-factor argument not allow different variance in the random effects for each group? (Incidentally each subject is in one group only)

> Note that this is not entirely equivalent to your gamm model, for two reasons. One is, as you note correctly, that gamm includes correlations between intercept and A which bam doesn't. The second reason is that nlme interprets subsequent grouping factors as nested, meaning that your model actually has random effects for G and G %in% ID, not for G and ID separately. (This could be overcome with a complicated pdBlocked() argument, or by using gamm4 instead of gamm.)

So does this imply that the random effects on intercept and slope will necessarily be uncorrelated in gam/bam, i.e. equivalent to a pdDiag() argument in lme/gamm?

Secondly, does a random effect smooth with two factors [e.g. s(G, ID, A, bs=‘re’)] not create a nested structure? - the mgcv random.effects documentation page implies that the random effect applies to the interaction of the two factors?

Thanks.