[R-sig-ME] chisq = 0 and p = 1 in glmer model comparison result

Paul Johnson p@u|@john@on @end|ng |rom g|@@gow@@c@uk
Tue Jun 4 00:46:35 CEST 2019

Hi Becky,

The model with the two additional parameters has a lower log likelihood (-480.3, df=15) than the smaller model (-475.8, df=13). This shouldn’t be possible, because adding an unconstrained parameter makes the model more flexible, allowing a closer fit to the data. This anomalous difference in likelihoods has caused the chi-squared statistic in the LRT to be negative, giving a p-value of 1, because all of the chi-squared distribution is positive, i.e. P(chi-squared > test statistic) = 1 when the test statistic is <= 0. Either one or both of the models haven’t converged, or (less likely) there is missing data in the added variable so that the data differs between the two models.

In addition, it’s very unusual to fit random slopes without also including a fixed effect, as you’ve done for targetWordFactor. The null model allows the WW-W and NW-W differences in the log odds of being correct to differ randomly between subjects and between items, but forces the mean differences (across subjects and items) to be zero. You’d need a good reason to fit such a model.

Best wishes,
Paul