[R-sig-ME] GLMMTMB false convergence

Thu May 30 03:40:33 CEST 2019

   I don't know if I've included this in the troubleshooting vignette
yet, but: the "false convergence" message (ultimately from nlminb())
is pretty obscure.
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/40039114/r-nlminb-what-does-false-convergence-actually-mean

   I can think of the following strategies:

 * restart the fit from the optimized parameters (the false
convergence may not occur because nlminb can reset its iterative
procedure) and see if you get the same fit without the warning

* scale and center predictors (always worth a try)

* as of a *very* recent version of the glmmTMB master branch, you can
specify a different optimizer (see ?glmmTMBControl) and see if you get
the same answer.