[R-sig-ME] Model Definition and Interpretation - Interactions, plus Singularity

Reinstein, Ilan I|@n@Re|n@te|n @end|ng |rom nyu|@ngone@org
Wed Mar 13 02:04:04 CET 2019

Hi Harold and Phillip, thanks for your reply and sorry for the delay.

Your insight was quite helpful. Some comments as I may have not been clear before, I apologize.

Harold - the difficulty estimates I mentioned were obtained by fitting an LLTM to our data. That is how we know the case types are different, additionally, this model provides item-level difficulty estimates as well. The problem is, we are only interested in capturing the change in ability at the case type level, suggesting that the subjects actually understand things at that level (type-vs-type, not item-by-item). I read the reference you sent, and although it was interesting, we are hitting some challenges when taking the IRT path for this analysis, so I am not sure that will help us.

Phillip- Thanks for pointing out the incorrect definition of the interaction I was using, the model makes more sense as you suggested. However, for both cases there is nor convergence, in fact, sometimes it is a singular fit while in other situations it just does not converge. Will using a different optimizer and setting the calc.derivs = FALSE in glmerControl help?

>> If each item belongs uniquely to a single caseType, then you can't estimate caseType by item effects, but you could potentially estimate sequence effects:

>> This latter model would pick up e.g. whether a given item is more or less likely to be corrected rated, beyond the effect of its overarching caseType or sequence position. lme4 will pick up on the "between" design aspects of the item component without you having to be more explicit.

Also, I am not sure I understand what you mean by sequence and case type effects over items. In this particular case, the number at which the item is presented (sequence) _does_ matter, since we are looking for different changes in ability by person, which in turn are set to be different according to the case type. What is the advantage and the interpretation of the inclusion of the variation over items, whether as a slope or an intercept?

Thanks again for your valuable input, it has been quite enriching in my lme4 journey.

Best,

Ilan