[R-sig-ME] Prediction variance for GLMM

John Maindonald john@m@indon@ld @ending from @nu@edu@@u
Sat Jan 5 21:32:14 CET 2019

You might consider using glmmTMB::glmmTMB(), which has an
`se.fit=TRUE` argument.  Note the ability, with allow.new.levels=TRUE,
to predict for a new random factor level.

glmmTMB() has the advantange of allowing a wider range of error
familiies.  For betabinomial, negative binomial, and other such
families, it allows the modeling of the ‘dispersion’ parameter
(NB that this is not ‘dispersion’ as defined for glm quasi models,
albeit one can be expressed as a function of the other.)

There is the standard warning that the SEs are contingent on the
model assumptions, and on distributional theory approximations.
(E.g., what DF assumptions will give a good approximation to the
coef/SE distributions.)  The lme4 parametric bootstrap function
bootMer() should now work to give SEs that pretty much get
around issues with distributional theory approximations, but not
around model assumptions more generally.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald using anu.edu.au<mailto:john.maindonald using anu.edu.au>