[R-sig-ME] LMM reduction following marginality taking out "item" before "subject:item" grouping factor

Maarten Jung M@@rten@Jung @ending from m@ilbox@tu-dre@den@de
Wed Nov 28 21:33:28 CET 2018

Jake,

thanks for this insight.
So, regarding this issue, there is no difference between taking out
variance components for main effects before interactions within the same
grouping factor, e.g. reducing (1 + A*B | subject) to (1 + A:B | subject),
and taking out the whole grouping factor "item" (i.e. all variance
components of it) before "subject:item"?

And, I would be glad if you could answer this related question:
Do all variances of the random slopes (for interactions and main effects)
of a single grouping factor contribute to the standard errors of the fixed
main effects and interactions in the same way?

Regards,
Maarten