[R-sig-ME] LMM reduction following marginality taking out "item" before "subject:item" grouping factor

Jake Westfall j@ke@@@we@tf@ll @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Nov 28 20:03:39 CET 2018

Maarten,

No, I would not agree that the Bates quote is referring to the principle of
marginality in the sense of e.g.:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Principle_of_marginality

Bates can chip in if he wants, but as I see it, the quote doesn't hint at
anything like this. It simply says that "variance components of
higher-order interactions should generally be taken out of the model before
lower-order terms nested under them" -- which I agree with. The reason this
is _generally_ true is because hierarchical ordering is _generally_ true.
But it looks like it's not true in your particular case.

can you think of a reason why they suggest to follow this principle other
> than "higher-order interactions tend to explain less variance than
> lower-order interations"?

No.

Jake