[R-sig-ME] Dependency structure

Malcolm Fairbrother m@lcolm@f@irbrother @ending from umu@@e
Fri Oct 26 11:02:35 CEST 2018

Hi,

John Poe’s response to this just now is very helpful.

Yashree, you may find it helpful to look at some code I wrote to run simulations effectively implementing what John suggests (distinguishing between from within effects). A paper presenting the simulations is here <https://doi.org/10.1017/psrm.2013.24>, and the R code is in the supplementary material linked from that website. I used the “rmsn” function to generate random intercepts that are correlated with a group-level covariate—which I take it is the issue you want to deal with.

Other than using a “REWB” specification (see also https://doi.org/10.1007/s11135-018-0802-x), I’m not sure there’s much you can do.

Hope that helps,
Malcolm

Malcolm Fairbrother

Professor of Sociology, Umeå University<http://www.soc.umu.se/english/>
Researcher, Institute for Futures Studies<https://www.iffs.se/en/>
Sweden

Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 19:45:45 -0400
From: Ben Bolker <bbolker using gmail.com<mailto:bbolker using gmail.com>>
To: Yashree Mehta <yashree19 using gmail.com<mailto:yashree19 using gmail.com>>
Cc: "r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org<mailto:r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org>"
<r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org<mailto:r-sig-mixed-models using r-project.org>>
Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME] Dependency structure

 Please keep r-sig-mixed-models in the Cc: .

 I don't immediately see any way to allow a correlation between the
intercept terms and the X-covariates, nor even why that would
necessarily make sense.  I do recall that there's some stuff in the
causal inference literature (of special interest to economists)
surrounding this assumption, and how one can center covariates by group
to address the issue, but I can't remember where it is/point you to it
at the moment.  Perhaps someone else on the mailing list can help ...