[R-sig-ME] R Consortium call for funding

Mollie Brooks mollieebrook@ @ending from gm@il@com
Wed Sep 26 13:37:17 CEST 2018

Lize and Manuel brought up covariance structures and speed, so I wanted to let you all know that the glmmTMB developers have been working towards these goals (https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/glmmTMB/vignettes/covstruct.html <https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/glmmTMB/vignettes/covstruct.html>). It’s also easy to add additional structures to glmmTMB. We could use some help testing the covariance structures (https://github.com/glmmTMB/glmmTMB/issues/344 <https://github.com/glmmTMB/glmmTMB/issues/344>). We recently found a bug that could cause problems in models with multiple types of covariance structures, but it has been fixed if you install the development (i.e. Github) version of lme4 and the fix_covstruct_order2 branch of glmmTMB (https://github.com/glmmTMB/glmmTMB/tree/fix_covstruct_order2 <https://github.com/glmmTMB/glmmTMB/tree/fix_covstruct_order2>). These should both be on CRAN soon.

In my opinion, the biggest need for improvement is to provide predictions and coefficients with confidence intervals on a meaningful scale when a nonlinear link function is used. This comes up repeatedly on this list (e.g. earlier this month https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-mixed-models/2018q3/027237.html). The solution will probably involve marginalizing over random effects, but non-parametric bootstrapping while resampling the levels of random effects could also be useful.

cheers,
Mollie