[R-sig-ME] question about a GAM model

dani orchidn @ending from live@com
Tue Aug 28 02:58:15 CEST 2018

Hi everyone,

I have a question about a GAM model where I included three non-parametric terms. I obtained the results below. can I conclude that the associations were in fact linear and run a final GLM model without including splines? To me it seems unnecessary to include splines in the final model. How should I report these results?

# Approximate significance of smooth terms:
#                 edf Ref.df Chi.sq p-value
# s(x1)      1.61   2.01   1.17   0.550
# s(x2)      1.00   1.00   0.00   0.955
# s(x3)      1.00   1.00   4.61   0.032 *

Thank you very much,
Dani