[R-sig-ME] Fixed vs random effects with lme4

John Poe jdpo223 @ending from g@uky@edu
Thu Aug 23 19:42:44 CEST 2018

I'm getting a bit confused by your language.

A fixed effects model can either refer to a model with one intercept making
no allowance for group variability (so all the effects are assumed fixed
for the population) or a model where all between group variance is removed
from the main variables via dummy variables, the within transform, first
differencing or some other method and thus the betas represent the portion
of the effect common to the population and thus fixed.

If you want to do a hausman test you are comparing beta in a model with a
group varying intercept random effect and beta in a model where between
group effects are segregated via the above techniques. You do not include a
random effect in both models.

The hausman test is completely useless as a model specification tool if
you're going to use both a group mean centered (within transform) to get
the equivalent of a within group effects beta along with a group varying
intercept (random effect).