[R-sig-ME] Anova (type III-tests) table based on LRT for glmmTMB models

Sorkin, John j@orkin @ending from @om@um@ryl@nd@edu
Tue Jul 31 03:46:24 CEST 2018

A model that contains an interaction without the  main effects that are included in the interaction is unusual. Before I would run, or publish, such a model, I would think long and hard.

John

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Professor of Medicine
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology and Geriatric Medicine
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

________________________________
From: R-sig-mixed-models <r-sig-mixed-models-bounces using r-project.org> on behalf of John Maindonald <john.maindonald using anu.edu.au>
Sent: Monday, July 30, 2018 6:44 PM
To: Ben Bolker
Cc: R SIG Mixed Models
Subject: Re: [R-sig-ME] Anova (type III-tests) table based on LRT for glmmTMB models

CAUTION: This message originated from a non UMB, UMSOM, FPI, or UMMS email system. Whether the sender is known or not known, hover over any links before clicking and use caution opening attachments.

On Type III tests, I note that pp.24-26 of the document give a comprehensive
account.
afex::introduction-mixed-models<http://127.0.0.1:11966/help/library/afex/doc/introduction-mixed-models.pdf>
NB that in suitably �balanced� designs, type III sums of squares are not in
contention.

The complication is that a term A:B, when A and B do not appear in the model
formula, results in general in fitted values and in a contribution to the anova
sum of squares (this gets more complicated in multi-level models) that depend
on how A and B are parameterized (�treatment�, or �sum�, or � contrasts).
One needs to think very carefully about the specific meaning that might attach
to any specific type 3 test and/or to the estimates that remain when lower order
terms are left out.  In models with several factors and/or covariates, the
complications of interpretation that result will often be just one more unhelpful
source of confusion.

Any model selection process changes the meaning that should be attached to
the p-values in the model that remains, with the extent of the change cumulating
as more terms are omitted.  The result may readily be that p-values that appear
�highly significant�, in the model that results and with no account taken of
selection effects, should really suggest �not at all significant�.

John Maindonald             email: john.maindonald using anu.edu.au<mailto:john.maindonald using anu.edu.au>