[R-sig-ME] Best practice for co/variance component testing in LMM

Maarten Jung M@@rten@Jung @ending from m@ilbox@tu-dre@den@de
Mon Jun 18 20:44:47 CEST 2018

Hi Ben,

unfortunately it doesn't.
S & B only describe (1) the appropriate chi-bar-square distribution
for the test of a single variance component and (2) the appropriate
chi-bar-square distributions for testing a single random slope which
(in their approach) includes testing if the corresponding covariances
are zero. This seems to me as if their tests for (2) build on the idea
that the covariance paramters are not on the boundary but the
variances component of interest (the one of the random slope) is?

However, they do not describe how one should test if multiple
uncorrelated variance components are equal to zero and the LRT they
describe are only asymptotically correct.

It may well be that there are better options/ "exact" tests (similar
to RLRsim) for testing if multiple co/variance components improve the
model fit and that's what I'm looking for.

Cheers,
Maarten